Wednesday, January 13, 2016

2015 Collection Highlights


This is my 3rd annual "Collection Highlights". Following suit of my 2014, this year is a bit different than the last. Now while I collected as much as I can, I feel like I don't have the big bang quality nor do I have a lot variety. Things were a bit tight on the funds this year so I think I'm more or less on the Hasbro side(Marvel Legends are my cheapest and growing collection). The times I was collecting did bring joy in my life so I can't really complain. So here we are!

Marvel Legends: As I stated, this year I gained a lot and let me just digress... I didn't capture the one BAF I should probably have: The AoU Hulkbuster BAF. Room and funds were into big play this year and... I'll get that someday. Also one thing about the selection this year, there are no more Toybiz ones since I didn't buy any. And this year, I started gaining this 'meh' attitude towards Hasbro's supply since there were so many 'repeats', rehashes, and lacking of accessories. Now I may sound like I hate Legends... I really don't. So without further adieu, these are the top notches in my list. And yes, the majority of them came from the Odin BAF series.

Iron Fist, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel, Spidey 2099, Spider-Woman

Top Legend: 


We should not be surprised that it is Jessica Drew that wins this. I have been waiting for an updated Marvel Legend of Spider-Woman so long that when I heard that she was coming out, I was elated beyond belief. She isn't a perfect Legend, and she still suffers from Hasbro's disease of 'lack ofs', but, it is still an adequate figure! So great that I have three! Thank you Hasbro!

Build-A-Figure(ML): I will be honest that since Hasbro is the main supplier of BAFs, this year suffers; now there were variety this year, that is for sure! I did not even get half of the BAFs that came out for a few reasons and the ones I got, well... I only have three total so the battle for who is number one BAF remains on this three:

Odin, Hobgoblin, Thanos

BAF Legend:


I wanted it to be Thanos, believe me. Thanos is my favorite character out of the three and I was looking forward for a brand new Thanos figure for such a long time. It also helped that Thanos as a BAF came with Spider-Woman for one of his parts! Unfortunately, Thanos did NOT deliver. Low articulation, not exactly diverse in the form of poses... no accessories. Odin would be my second favorite with how unique he is and he comes with an accessory; So with that said, Hobgoblin took the trophy for 2015. He has more accessories, he is unique, and he is pretty fun to pose. That's the tricky thing with rating BAFs... is it the set or the figure itself that makes these guys? For Hobgoblin's case, it's him as the figure since his set wasn't that great to me.

Imports: This particular genre did not come with a lot of choices for 2015. I did not buy a lot since imports are not cheap by any means(the ideal number for candidates are five, but again, money was not easy to come by this year). So with my choices being limited to the three... well...

Iron man, Elsa, Harley Quinn
Most Enamoring: 



Elsa is not even in the same league--and while I love that cute little figure, it doesn't fit the mold of how to put it against the S.H. Figuarts that I bought this year; still she is an import so I had to include her in here. Now between Harley and Stark, it was really hard. I wanted to really say Harley Quinn but there was just something so much more entertaining in this Iron Man import that I could not justify Harley taking the trophy. It was a coin toss, but I have to say that Iron Man is superior between the two (in my humble opinion).

Statues: While I did not get a lot this year, it still is a decent number and the competition was there. Bishoujo remains to be my dominant supplier for this area. Nonetheless, these are the catch of 2015 in regards to statues:

Rei Ayanami, Batwoman, Juri Han, Jubilee
Winning Statue: 


Juri came on top with Batwoman a close second. Jubilee was cute and Rei was a good pick but I would be lying if I denied the idea that I would have let both teens win the slots for the sake of sexuality. Juri and Batwoman are head to head but I think Juri just has more intricacy--and maybe that doesn't fall on the product but the character design. Still, Ayanami was the none Bishoujo out of the four and she was just plain fan service.

Shout out: This category is new and I have to say that this particular 'winner' does not come in abundance. Marvel Select are hardly something I collect but I do have them as display. This particular guy is the first I have ever opened and I have to say, it was well worth it! Amazing thing! While lacking some articulation and accessories, stable, well painted, and all that.... it's a fine addition to my Iron Man shelf.

Marvel Select Hulkbuster
After Word: This year did not produce a "THE ONE" kind of deal. While I will say that I adore the majority of my catch this year, I believe there was just so much clutter in my 'life' that I can't say any figure really stood out. STOOD OUT. I did not get into a Hot Toy this year and they are almost a guaranteed winner. Regardless, I think 2015 was a decent hunting year. I had a lot of fun with those I caught and 2016 seems even more promising. Maybe if I get lucky this year I will have a Hot Toy on the review slot? Well, here's to the new year then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment