Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Marvel Legends BAF: Dormamu

Astral Strange, Dr. Strange(CU), Iron Fist, Enchantress, Nico, Dr. Strange(now), Karl(not in the pic? lol) Brother Voodoo
Here we are for the SECOND BAF of 2016! Wow, did I skip out on a bunch! There is one rhyme and reason as to why: Hasbro has been doing it a bit too much and with some mediocre line ups and not so tempting BAFs. While some of the figures that are coming out of the BAFs are cool(I bought a lot of figures this year so I'm not a stranger to Hasbro's line ups), I do not think getting a set JUST to get a set is realistic anymore. But Dormamu was just an awesome set for me both BAF and figures. BUT, let's check out Dormamu himself!


Dormamu translated very well in Marvel vs Capcom 3 and I believe Hasbro took a lot of inspiration from the franchise when sculpting and painting this character. While Dormamu had always been somewhat consistent with his costume, this particular look just seethes of game influence. With that said, I love what they have done with Dormamu. As a BAF, he isn't gargantuan, but he is far from small. He has some built, tall, and not to mention, he is a pretty heavy figure.


I love his sculpt for sure. He comes with some unique clothing article that has yet to be recycled with any other character (but do keep in mind that this is Dormamu's second paint job and release). I like the shoulder pads and collar, and of course just to keep with his 'regal' aesthetic, the 'half cape/skirt/loincloth' was added in quite well with some extra 'archaic' writing on said cape. Of course, his most prominent and unique sculpting goes to the flaming head, which is a signature aesthetic when it comes to Dr. Strange's adversary.


And despite his dark color scheme, there is a vibrancy in Dormamu's paint job that makes him stand out. The metallic purple mixes quite well with the heavily painted crimson areas. He is peppered with some black with his boots, belt, and face, but other than that he is dominantly purple with the already mentioned crimson that stands out. Of course the flaming head, one that is detailed with the transparent orange and yellow fire scheme, definitely brings it all together.


Just as a comparison, here he is next to the last BAF I purchased: Absorbing Man. He is taller and a little bit wider in frame, which makes him fit the idea of a "BAF". He doesn't come with as many accessories, though, so maybe that is his downfall.


Dormamu comes with two flaming skulls (one that came from the Return of Marvel Legends Ghost Rider figure), which again seems very Marvel vs Capcom 3 influenced. Well, it's not a bad accessory, but it just seems like he can't really hold it as well as I would want for some shots. Also, without using some stands, I have yet to find a way to make him have some dynamic pose with these skulls--ones that are insinuated to be projectiles. But, I like how they look and they are a good contrast compared to Dormamu's darker colors. Painted rather well and very translucent.


As for articulation, what is there to say about Dormamu when it comes to dynamic poses? Dormamu doesn't really do a lot of those. Most of the time I have seen him in comics he's either sitting down on an ominous throne, standing with some nefarious pose and magical energy surrounding him, or he's just a gigantic head, flames and all. Having said that, his action figure doesn't provide a whole lot of movement that fits him. It has a pretty standard articulation for the most part but the character design, his shoulder pads, and bottom accessories hinder a bit of that movement (especially the leg). I suppose I could have attempted some levitation poses, but the only stand I have available isn't made to hold a heavier figure like Dormamu over here so he's stuck and grounded. Still, I got what I wanted out of him in terms of a pose. I'm sure there are other people that can articulate him and be more creative.


This section is something I have decided to add with all future BAFs I collect: a rate the set in terms of the figure. I won't go heavy with each individual figures since that is what the reviews are for, BUT I will rank which is my favorite and which is the worse. I suppose this also puts in perspective just how good the BAF is since part of the joy of a BAF are the figures that make it up.

My Favorite: Nico Minoru
Least Favorite: Karl Mordo  (I mean, I forgot to put this guy in the group pic).

The set itself wasn't bad. From what I've seen, a lot of the figures are repaints, but it doesn't affect me since I do not own any of the first batches. Honestly, it was the set that enticed me to get this BAF so if I was to rank the set, I'd say it's a good B-.


It takes a lot more to push me to get a BAF these days and it should. Lack of space, funds, and just overall feelings on Hasbro's marketing ideals truly dilutes what was once a hyped trend for me. Though Dormamu is a good BAF and a pretty decent set. I am glad to have him in my collection, and for anyone who is a Dr. Strange fan, he'll do you justice and the set isn't entirely something to scoff over. Again be warned, many of these figures and the BAF itself is a repaint so this set might be a big turn off for a LOT of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment