Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Playarts: Princess Garnet / "Dagger"


Another classic Playarts review! Yes I will get to Fran, but first let me just get to another figure that has been long overdue out of the box. Yes, it's one of the characters by one of the most forgettable Final Fantasy to me: Princess Garnet or Dagger from Final Fantasy IX!


Here's Garnet's box, which is of course very Playarts classic. Zidane and Vivi are the other ones from this wave; not interested in getting either of them unless they are at a dead cheap price. 


As far as accessories, Garnet does come with a pair of fists to alternate with her open palm hand. She comes with her staff which can only be held by her right hand through the use of a peg. One thing I will say is that perhaps they should have had her 'haircut' alternate head. That would have paid real homage to her in-game appearance. And of course she is accessorized with the standard classic Playarts stand.


Speaking of details, they did get her necklace right; a piece that is sculpted separately and 'hangs' like a real necklace on Dagger. A real nice accessory to add even if it is not intended to be removed. Well, at least I would not remove it.


Now I'm going to tangent here and talk about my feelings of FFIX. To me, FFIX is a decent Final Fantasy. It has the ambiance for the most part and it truly does feel like a classic Final Fantasy, so with that said, WHY do I consider IX to be a bastard Final Fantasy like the online games FFXI and FFXIV? While the two online games are completely separate entities of how I see Final Fantasy(make something an online game only, and it's not your classic Final Fantasy. Sorry. FFXIII, as terrible and as much of a far cry that was from the FF theme still retains MUCH MORE of a the Final Fantasy essence that online gaming. My opinion, but it has some merits. Excuse my french but FUCK FFXI and FFXIV for taking two numbers of the FF series that COULD HAVE BEEN great single playing FF but had to be ruined for the sake of sating online gaming). So as for FFIX, there seems to be a feeling of 'regress' with FFIX for me. I don't know... it didn't do anything special and it gave us some boring characters. People will argue that ViVi is awesome, and yeah while he might be, but he is just as forgettable as Bartz. Again, my opinion but still. FFIX... you had potential to follow up on what FFVII and FFVI did. Then again, FFVIII tried too hard.


So spending that much time ranting about the characters and how they are forgettable, it goes back to the idea that the designs of these characters are lackluster for me. Garnet is probably one of the better ones along with Vivi and Amarant, but none of the other characters fared well aesthetically. What is up with chibi look, by the way? But for a figure, this one is pretty good. It captures Dagger's look just fine and the sculpt is spot on with the big hands and feet. The color details is nice and the shadowing on Garnet's overalls does fade in well. It is a great looking figure, that much I can say.


Now my last two reviews on 'older' Playarts characters seem to turn sour on the articulation part and Dagger does not follow that trend. While she does have the outdated 'lack of hair' movement (hinders head movement range), surprisingly, I had a ton of fun posing her around! Probably because her clothing did not obstruct certain poses, or maybe because of the smaller mold, who knows? But she was a ton of fun posing around and I enjoyed getting her in some of these poses.


It is a shame that she can only hold her staff with one hand so that brings the fun level down a bit, but again, it is an older figure so I can't complain that much.


For a comparison, here she is next to some classic Playarts female leads who all fall along the lines of 'staff-wielding-healing-magic-user-gal'. I probably won't review Yuna or Aerith, but they are decent looking figures as well and having them next to Dagger is a cool little set up. 



All in all, I am really astonished with HOW MUCH I adore this figure. I'm glad I took her out of her box finally and displayed her with the rest of the Final Fantasy ranks. She made me curious on the other FFIX playarts for a moment there. Awesome sculpt, decent paint, much better articulation than the FFVIIs were... thoroughly enjoyed! All in all, for those of you who are a fan of FFIX, this figure (and I'm assuming Vivi and Zidane as well) are a must! For a none-FFIX fan, this figure is amazing and I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment