Friday, November 15, 2013

Robot Spirits(Bandai): Eva Unit 2: "You Can(not) Advance"


Well here she is! Eva Unit 2 in Bandai's fine adaptation of the crimson Eva. Again much thanks to Actar's review for 'convincing' me to get this fine piece of collection! And since it's that season to be rekindling my love for Evangelion(apparently), only fitting that I was able to get one of the better Eva Unit 2 toys in my collection(my opinion so far, might change). So like any other toy review, let's check out the box!


There is really not that much to say about this box really. It's a standard theme for an import toy. Transparent front box, pose ability side show on the back, side portrait, so on and so on. The "Robot" logo on the front stands rather prominently; gives it a really eastern feel for some reason. So now to opening.


Neatly laid out and arranged are the weapons, accessories, alternate hands, and the figure itself. For those of you who are ambivalent about opening your figures, this is pretty much the point of no return. You got this far, might as well keep going at it. Just right off the get go, I wish Bandai would offer some sort of organizational tool like Figma and Revoltech does.


Details with this figure. Well let's just say it's pretty smooth and consistent. A lot of the pieces are separately molded so each piece to begin with are different colors so not a lot of worry one would with local figures with paint discrepancies. The figure is pretty accurate to the rebuild adaptation of Unit 2. The red isn't super shiny but it's a solid and attracting red and all the other colors do enough justice to tie in with the color scheme of Asuka. I always wondered the first time I saw Eva unit 2 in the rebuilt if I liked what they did to revamp her. Didn't take long for me to fully like the new version better.


Articulation time! What is there to say about this toy that Actar didn't already in his review? And if one is not trying to get words to describe how great this toy is, please go to Actar's review! At any rate, just to talk about the poseablity of Eva unit 2, there is so much possibilities that almost EVERY striking pose she performed in the anime/ movie can be duplicated with this figure! Almost, mind you.


And just to briefly tangent off accessories, Eva unit 2 is missing a stand. Apparently Bandai likes to merely advertise their stands within their toys. What a fine gimmick!


The famous "Kick" that killed an Angel

Now to talk about the Accessories. Or the weapons should I say. Surprisingly, all the weapons available for the Bandai version of Eva Unit 2 are all seen in the movie. Some of the figures out there of Eva unit 2 shows her holding a weapon that the said Unit never even picked up so I'm glad there is some consistency from movie to action figure.

Progressive Knives


Detail, paint job, and the fact that Unit 2 can hold these weapons without too much chances of slipping is a good thing. The minor addition of the coloring of the red and yellow compliments the silver really well and the handle color just adds a good contrast. If I remember correctly, this is pretty accurate to the movie/anime as well. Though I don't remember Asuka using this in the anime as much as I do in the movie.

Crossbow

Just to briefly talk about the crossbow which again, my memory of the anime is a bit obscure. I believe that this weapon is only a movie only exclusive. I personally thought it was a far better entrance on Asuka's part dealing with that Angel the way she did. I don't recall the anime(wow, I sound redundant with that statement) as well and from what I remember they were in sea rather than the air when Eva Unit 2 first do battled with an Angel. That and she kind of had that 'cape/cloak' thing going on to make her ominous like I suppose. But anyways, this weapon did it's job both as a long range weapon and as a melee tool. Wonder if we'll see more of it or perhaps that's its only use for the whole rebuild saga?

Bayonet

Just a bit of spoiler in regards to the second movie, Mari was the one piloting Eva Unit 2 when this weapon was used. And while she is no Asuka in my book, she was pretty badass when she decided to use Eva Unit 2. This weapon didn't work out as well, but it makes for a good accessory and imaginary usefulness in the realm of action figures and such. Shame the blade doesn't retract. Believe me I tried and I think I snapped the blade out of the gun and it wasn't supposed to. Still stays but it's not as firm as before! Oh well!


Now to talk about a comparison that I was planning on doing once I got this version of the Eva Unit 2. The beginning of this year I got the chance to review the Revoltech version of the Rebuild Eva 2. I would've been completely satisfied with the Revoltech version and all of the minor(back then) qualms I had with it wasn't agitated until I came across Actar's review. Despite the price point of Bandai's Eva Unit 2, I had to get it because what was pointed out in that video review was indeed making 'fun factor' for Revoltech decrease. So with that said… 


Detail wise, I think the two are toe to toe. While everything that Actar said I concur with, in regards to the paint details, I rather like the Revoltech's shinier red. While I am more than sated with Bandai's choice of red, to me there was nothing 'sloppy' or inadequate with the Revoltech version! Articulation, well both offer almost the same amount but Bandai just has a bit more of a 'firm' feel to it and less than annoying joints. And firm not only in joints, I mean the whole build of the toy itself. Revoltech feels a bit floppy and sometimes it's a struggle to get it to stand just normally while Bandai's just stands with very little effort. The joints are much more elusive with Bandai's version while Revoltech's isn't as clean. 


In terns of alternate hands and the 'flight' mode variation shoulders and forearms, both are pretty equal. Both are spot on to the movie however, changing Revoltech with the said accessories is painful! Especially the jet packs! That was probably the main reason why I never bothered to change Eva Unit 2's pose in the Asuka/anime shelf too often with how painful it was. Glad Bandai remedied that! Now as for accessories, this is where Revoltech wins. With the exception of the bayonet, Revoltech has all of Bandai's accessories AND two stands! Now while the 'function-spin' stand did nothing for me, Revoltech did give a standard(mediocre, but included nonetheless) stand rather than just advertise it! But are stands and accessories REALLY enough to say that Revoltech is better?


With much more collector friendly joints and a firmer stature, I lean on Bandai far more than I do with Revoltech. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm still REALLY happy I have the Revoltech version, it's just that Bandai's just had much more to offer for me! For others, it might be accessories that does it or the price, or company loyalty, or what not. To each's own, but I do MORE than recommend Bandai's version more than I do Revoltech's.


That is the second Revoltech that got 'benched' for another toy company. They have bad steaks so far(Mark III, Mark V) But trust me folks, if you're a fan of Evangelion and Asuka and just so happens to be a collector like myself, consider the higher priced Bandai over the Revoltech. Again I have no qualms with Revoltech and will probably still buy their product, but if another company sells the same character with more things to offer, I'll go for the other company since Revoltech has had a few bad marks with me. With that said, Bandai's Robot Spirits Eva Unit 2 is a fantastic addition to your collection. Don't pass it up if you are trying to fill your room with Asuka and her trusty Evangelion!

No comments:

Post a Comment