Saturday, September 28, 2013

Marvel Legends BAF: Galactus


Galactus Series
: Bullseye, Nightcrawler, Hulk, Dr. Strange, War Machine, Deathlok, Professor X
The world devourer! Galactus finally assembled and here within my game room! Unlike most BAFs that I completed this year, Galactus started from scratch. I had zero of the pieces but somehow and someway, SOMEONE enticed me to get him. Personally, I had no qualms with that because Galactus had always been in my crosshairs in regards to the BAF lines. One of the 'originals' in the BAF days of Toybiz, Galactus came with some pretty respectable characters. With the exception of Deathlok, the rest are pretty well known. And in my honest opinion, with the exception of Bullseye, everyone are adequate to fill the pieces of the World Devourer(there could've been more hard hitting characters put in no doubt).


Right off the get go I'm going to mention that this is indeed my top, if not CLOSE to my top favorite BAF I have gathered this year. Admittedly, Galactus' story was far more 'out-of-this-world' at his debut. Now with him just being 'there' and him constantly and redundantly taking and keeping his promise to spare Earth from his hunger, I have to say that he has become a bit bland(story wise). But back then and partially to this day, there is something unique and intimidating about the story of Galan so does his BAF from way back when do him justice? 


The details are there with him. Aside from his chest piece that was updated with this toy, his costume design is indeed etched into this BAF with an almost infallible work. Not entirely sure WHAT a cosmic being with a hunger as grand as eating up a whole planet would be wearing, but I suppose there is something to be said about his costume design. The most intriguing part of his said costume would have to be his helmet; more so the front since it has the details. It is his signature after all and even the infamous movie that he 'appeared' in showed the silhouette of his helmet. The designs sculpted on the helmet really concurred with the paint job; speaking of which, from head to toe, the blue, purple, and bordeaux combination fares better in his plastic form than a LOT of his comic aberrations. Facial expression remains to be stoic but still somewhat of an intimidating look; the 'square' eyes also keeps the detail that he has in the comics.


Now I didn't scrutinize his articulation as well as I would with the other BAFs. He offers quite a bit more than what one would expect but not a slew of them. But unlike Rulk and Iron Monger where they are very limited, Galactus does have articulation in his hands that allows for more than just closed fist related stances. Though Galactus is hardly EVER in melee actions or the such so having him mostly standing in a supreme pose is far more adequate. Thus the reason why I kept a lot of his pose simple. Suffice to say, he does have the expected movements. For those overly into leg articulations, do take note that his 'loin cloth/skirt' does get in the way. But again, I highly doubt that Galan will be indulging in doing splits.

Next to Apocalypse BAF, Terrax BAF, and Silver Savage
Rocket Raccoon?
As expected, Galactus is a big BAF. Toybiz had the affinity for giving us the BAFs in the size(Hasbro fails to do so). He stands nearly toe to toe with Apocalypse. With his helmet, he stands slightly taller but he doesn't have the mass that Apocalypse has. Next to the 6 inches, he is for sure a force to be reckoned with! And speaking of Hasbro and their recent BAFs, that's Rocket Raccoon with the devourer of worlds! While Galactus was bigger than a planet, he did have the ability to change his size on the whim to fit the situation. Though if I was a devourer of worlds and I need not fraternize with the inhabitants of the planet I'm about to use to sate my hunger, then I won't have to dwindle my size to their liking. Better yet, don't play with one's food!


In short, Galactus has been a long time coming. I had every intention to add him as part of my collection some time ago(Sentinel and Nemesis as well) but just have put him off. Well, here he is now. Suffice to say, I'm very happy that he has become part of the number!


And considering his size, he did not fit in the typical shelf of the 'baddies'. Besides, Galan's hunger doesn't entirely make him evil; the same notion of a 'force of nature' I suppose. With that said!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment