Thursday, September 7, 2017

Bowen Designs: Spider-Woman


Well, this is it! The real review of the Bowen Statue of Spider-Woman! This is one of my holy grails considering how alluring she is! Now, time to really dig into the details! But first, let's just look at the box real quick(again! I'll just use the draft's pictures since, well, it hasn't really changed and I already packed that HUGE box away).




I wanted to do a size comparison with the box and some other means. Like a comparison with a Marvel Legends? A Bishoujo box? But I never did. Trust ME! This box, like the figure, is colossal! Let's move on to the figure/statue itself.


This statue is elegant and sexy. Classic and nostalgic. Bold and true. This is Jessica Drew with all the elements that makes her Spider-Woman: agile, provocative, classy, but still seductive. For some reason, this really feels like the first and the best Spider-Woman in all her canonical self and the implied kinky side of her that isn't so boldly explored(for obvious reasons!).


Just to get it out of the way: I get why she is staring up; it fits the idea of the picture, however, it prevents some good angles. Sometimes, seeing a person looking up isn't really sexy. But for me to say that is just a really minor and petty complaint. As I already said, this posture is very sexy but still a bit conserved. She's not overt in the way she is 'showing' off, but she isn't exactly neutral. And the sexiness isn't your typical 'anime' or 'crouching down show my ass'(which I love), but it is womanly... but it is also so innocent in some way.


The dynamic, though only really in her hair, is still fluent. It looks convincing enough. The wind brushing against her hair definitely fits how she is sitting on top of that gargoyle just enjoying the breeze of the city skies.


The posture shows just how 'daring' she is. Sexy, daring, and just really dramatic despite how little dynamic is in this sculpt.


Speaking of sculpting, I've already talked a whole lot of about Jessica's sculpting. It's well done, that is for sure, but another sculpting that is done with a lot of care is the gargoyle that she is sitting on top of. It's detailed, but it really doesn't take itself too seriously; meaning that it wasn't intended to be the main focus, but it does compliment Spider-Woman in every way. Spider-Woman is robust, she pops, and she lets herself be known. The gargoyle is simply just a means, something to help her accomplish that. She is beauty while he is the beast. She is curvy, round, malleable, and the gargoyle is stiff, rigid, and stationary. The combination of the two really mixes well, but he doesn't take too much. Again, it compliments Spider-Woman.


Speaking of complimenting: the colors are fantastic! Spider-Woman received a nice metallic red and yellow paint! True to her colors and it makes her vibrant. The sleek and form fitting tights never looked so damn sexy on her! Her hair may not get the most attention, but with the dynamics and the contrast to the rest of her paint job, it's definitely more than good enough. Her web wings are also sculpted and painted accurately to offset from the rest of her costume. The gargoyle, while already loved by its own magnificent sculpt, also received some love through its colors. Dull grey, black, and stone wash, the mute and darker tone is a good comparison to the bright and eye candy Spider-Woman sitting on top of it.



Just letting the pic do some talking here.


And just to compare her size(which can give someone a good picture of how big her box is), here she is next to her Bishoujo(SDCC 2014 exclusive) version. As you can see the difference in style here since the Bishoujo is more anime in every way while the Bowen is definitely more comic book accurate. You can also see the height difference; most of it is the gargoyle, but yeah! The Bishoujo(especially this one) is not cheap by any means, but Bowen Spider-Woman makes it look like a comparison between a Hot Toy and a Figma.


And here is my NEW Spider-Woman shrine! Yes, these are all my Spider-Woman figures out of their respective boxes and containers (I know, I have yet to fully reveal "The New" Game Room).


I've never made it a secret that I was going to eventually get an expensive Spider-Woman product. With the comic book accurate depiction, the sexy and mature sculpt, and just the overall look of this statue, I knew that one day she is going to be the one expensive piece in my Spider-Woman collection. I love this statue and if I do get around reviewing everything this year, SHE will be a top contender for 2017's catch! Welps, hope my return to the collection posts did my hiatus justice! More to come in all areas of my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment