Sunday, January 29, 2017

Figma: Elsa the Snow Queen



She's finally here! The Figma I have been waiting for for some time now! From the popular Disney Movie, Frozen, here comes The Snow Queen, Elsa! When I first found out that this was happening, I was elated beyond belief! I mean, really? An Elsa in Figma form? For those who aren't familiar with this fact but I adore Elsa. Figmas are also one of my favorite imports so put them together and... Well let's just get on with the review, shall we?



Elsa comes in a strangely large box. So big that it dwarfs Mikasa's.


It definitely is a Figma box that we all recognize. The design, the layout, the promotions, yes it defines a Figma box.


And it's not like Elsa is a huge figure. She's standard Figma size, which we all know is not a Marvel Legend. But there is a reason as to why the box is a hefty size. Oh, and Frozen in Japanese writing is nice.


Elsa is beautiful and Figma tried their best to really capture that beauty. Now it's not by any means a perfect figure, but it is a great one and I will definitely talk about what are the downside. But there are a lot of good things about this figure and it's not just me being a fan of Elsa talking. Just look at the details and how much they mirrored the Snow Queen. I'll talk about face details later but just the sheer attention to the color scheme. Now I know Figma would not have done this but can one fathom if they just stuck with one or two shades of blue? Instead what Figma did was truly span out to the true colors that make Elsa's Snow Queen dress just damn enamoring. I mean just look at that cape! It's translucent, but peppered with the 'snowflake' theme that she is known for in the movie. It might be a bit more prominent in her figure form compared to the movie version, but it's appreciated!


Here's a side profile of her. They even got that braid detail. And if anyone is wondering about that 'glittery' bustier being a bit of a nuisance, the glitter hasn't fallen off like preschool art projects do when glitter is involved.


Elsa's cut on her dress makes an awesome show off some 'elegant-sexiness' that the Snow Queen is known for and Figma adds it in to do justice to the character. One of my few complaints about her is that the joints aren't as inconspicuous as I would like. Figma can have done a great job in the past, but with certain characters and design, it's just not as easy. Elsa might be one of those examples but it doesn't take away from the figure that much at all.


Now bear in mind that this is a Figma figure so Elsa does come with the Figma bag and a stand--both which I did not put in the picture. The stand, she doesn't really need because I display her with her cape all the time (and have taken pictures of her wearing it all the time) so she could stand on her own; good for me to get an extra stand. Oh and her cape is an accessory; I just didn't put it in the picture because she just looks so cool with it. One thing that Figma collectors might notice: her alternate hands don't come with a 'peg holders', which I didn't think I'd miss so much until I didn't have it. No worries though since we still get the bag. Now to talk about her accessories a bit more.


Along with the standard variant faces and hands that Figma is known for, Elsa is equipped with two 'snow magic' effects. They do well enough but they only truly 'shine' when shown in a different angle. They are limited in picture dynamics, but again, they are adequate. Now to talk about the faces. She comes with a 'singing' face, a 'smiling' face, and her 'cocked eyebrow' seductive face. Those variations on their definitely give us enough variety (an angry face might do well, or her worried look, but I'm not going to gripe over that). Now, Let me show off the pictures here:


singing face
That is her singing face. Notice something? Yes, the eyes. I FINALLY have a figure that has 'articulated eyes'! What?


Sensual/cocked eyebrow face
The same face can do a lot more with that feature. Believe me, it hikes up the fan service even more because it gets even more dynamic!


neutral happy face
How is this done? Well if you go back to the picture with all her accessories(almost all) lined up, you can see a plain white 'pick'. That is what you use to hook into one of her eyes in the back(decided not to show a picture, it's pretty easy), and with that little tool, you can move Elsa's eyes any way you see, please! Definitely an amazing addition!


Figma isn't the first to add this feature(think Hot Toys) in, but Elsa is the first figure I have that has this innovative feature. Truly a marvelous thing. Trust me. You can make her look as pacifist as you want, seductive, or just downright evil through certain angles.


Now since we are on the topic of accessories, I have to put Olaf in this. Now, while I am not a fan of Olaf, I will say that adding him in most articulated Elsa figure is a must in more ways than one. He is after all one of the best showcases of Elsa's powers. Sure she can shoot beams of ice, make ice castle, make it snow, or whatever. But Olaf... she can create life. That's something else. Makes her powers even more confusing at times especially when you factor in that she can alter clothing? Back to Olaf as an accessory, the snowman is the Olaf we know. He has decent shading and he is molded quite well. Some articulation. AND he has that articulated eyes feature which gives him a bit more dynamic as well.


Now as far as Elsa's articulation, you do get your standard Figma range of movements. The only thing is that her lower body, while still equipped with the standard joints on her legs, she doesn't really move much, nor should she. She won't be doing any Spider-Woman like movements, and her character design really inhibits much more than a bend here and there with her legs. Sure that cut on her dress does allow more range of movement, but all in all, the plastic isn't soft enough to offer that much dynamic, which again, why does she need it? Oh, something to note is that her sleeves are a bothersome here and there. While it is true to the character, the sleeves do not allow the peg on her hands to sit deep enough, so sometimes her hand and that tiny sleeve might fall off. They should have made the 'mushroom' system so that the pegs on her hands can catch and sit better. Her braid on her left side is articulated too so that really make some poses more elevated.



Again, those eyes just really bake the cake! Or for this case, tops the ice cream... okay that was bad. Let me just add a few pictures here. But seriously, that cape as well is awesome. Look at those details! The translucent and 'ice' like the way it is made. Sure it could be more dynamic, but what can I say? It's amazing!



See? Evil-like, yes?


Here she is next to Olaf. To be honest, as much as I don't like Olaf, it's a nice thing that they added him. Though I'd take those two face variations, a more 'dynamic cape', and a few more ice effects over him. I'm just saying.


Here's Elsa next to her Nendroid version. And while we are at it, here is Olaf next to his Nendroid version as well. Again, they have the same gimmick, just one is a bit more 'chibified' than the other. Though Olaf looks just about the same 'anatomy wise'. Then again, they are both from Good Smile so the fact that Elsa, despite being chibi, looks identical color wise just points out some consistency. When I got the Nendroid, I was really hoping that it was a sign of a "normal sized" version of her, and here we are.


Here is Elsa next to her SEGA statue counterpart, one of my favorite Elsa piece I own. If there is one thing I can mention here is that statues can get details that articulated figures can't (least not without sacrificing some movement). Just compare Elsa's sleeves. There are some details of the dress that the SEGA captured and the Figma can't. But other than that, the hair for both is amazing(different shades of blonde, but still Elsa accurate in my opinion), the faces are beautiful, and they all showcase Elsa's amazing cape in their own way.


And yes, I updated the location of Elsa's 'shrine'. She's part of this Update now! So check that post to see where things are.

Is that... ALDUIN? #FrozenSkyrim (Here)
What can I say about this figure? I have been waiting for an Elsa figure like this and here we are. I had high hopes for this figure and she pretty much reached 98% of those expectations. Sure she has some flaws, sure she's missing some details that I'm surprised Figma didn't implement, but all in all, this is a definitive Elsa articulated figure to date! Do yourself a favor, if you are an Elsa fan, this is a must. If you are a Figma fan, this one truly highlights some of Figma's best qualities. She's pricey, which is one of her biggest downfalls, but truly, she is worth it in my opinion. She will definitely be in the ranks for 2017's highlights for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment