Tuesday, February 2, 2016

ML Absorbing Man BAF: Lady Beetle


Next on the list for the Absorbing Man BAF is Beetle. The female Beetle of Marvel, to be exact. I know nothing about her. I looked up some details and she is the daughter of Tombstone and just wanted the life of her Father's career. She is somewhat recent; appeared when Bucky became Captain America after Civil war. So as a figure, let's just go right into the details.


The running variant for Speed Demon, so there is no need to showcase the back. The art on the side is more loyal to her figure version; in the comic book images I saw, her eyes are bigger. Said eyes resemble Spider-Man's buggy look.




I had this feeling that I was not going to like this figure and I was right. I was never a fan of Beetle as a villain and Lady Beetle does not offer much in that regard. I did not read the areas where she was active, but she just seems very generic. Her designs pay homage to the original Beetle whom I did not like. Her figure version is definitely her, but again the designs do nothing to impress me. The wings we have seen before so it's not a wow factor. It's identical to Wasp's just repainted. The color scheme is not great for me but as a paint application on the figure, it turned out nice. The molds aren't terrible either and I have to say that for what some parts are, it makes this figure decent for some. Now let's go to the are that really kills Beetle for me.


This was another goof on my part when I was opening the packages that contained this set. I snapped Absorbing Man's leg right away, forgetting I have yet to take a picture of it. So the torso is in there with the shot. SO... accessories are lacking or not there. I can't really count her wings as accessories can I? It's like saying Thor's cape or something is an accessory. No variant hands. No rocket launcher that I see her use a lot in the comic book pics. NOTHING.



And to top it off, it seems I may have a Beetle that is rigid since her articulation is a bit stiff. After some warming up, I finally got her to move her 'potential', which wasn't as impressive as it could be, unfortunately. These articulated wings would be a bit more awe-inspiring if it wasn't for the fact that a previous Marvel Legends didn't own these before, and said figure had the same body articulation and lack of accessories, then I would be impressed with the wings. Don't get me wrong, it looks good. The figure isn't bad looking on its own right, but she is not an impressive character and the fact that she possesses the same cons as Wasp.... well... it's like a redo of the past failures.




Between the two, the Ultimate Beetle is a better figure with all its 'unique' molds and the fact that he just looks cooler. Still, they both lack accessories.


All in all, this figure does not deliver what the previous figures in this wave did. Lacking accessories takes a lot away from her fun factor, and the fact that her movement is very limited makes her even less of a legend. But, as variety comes, she's a good addition. She also has a BAF piece that does not have a variant; she has a leg, and Absorbing Man's leg only comes in one form. But, I have her so no use to really whine about it. She'll be in my villains galore shelves for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment