Thursday, September 6, 2012

Catwoman Vol. 1; The New 52


One of my first few posts in this Blog after my 'minor' disappearance involves a thick graphic novel that is a compilation of all first issues of DC's 'The New 52' (Thickest Graphics Novels). While shame for me to admit that I did not thoroughly go through each one, I will say that the ones I did go through, I managed to purchase some of the complete issues. Catwoman is one of them.



Now I don't know how I will fare with doing Graphic novel reviews; in fact, I don't know how often I will be doing them since reading, believe it or not, isn't exactly on the highest of my priority with the plethora of things I indulge myself. However I want to point this graphic novel out for the wonders it offers. Art is by far whimsical as it can be very attracting. The artist knows his Catwoman/Selina Kyle very well and he lays her on the page with sensual and very dominant feel to her. I have enjoyed every turning of the page and with every art, it captures the very provocative sass that Catwoman have been known for. And art is just about everything in the comic book industry... at least for me it is.

Of course the story and dialogue has to be properly cooked up as well, and to me, simple and maybe a bit cliched the story is, it still offers entertainment. While the art very much well captures the  essence of Selina's visage, the writing had the flare to round up her sense of self and her very volatile attitude when it comes to decisions. Not only that, it does justice to her rapport with her key characters and one major player in the industry and that is of course: Batman.

And most of the costume stays on.
And another thing about this graphic novel is that it adds a little bit of fan service for those who have 'special needs' (for lack of a better phrase). It may not be as sensual as the picture above, but for some of us, it adds a bit of glory.


Excuse the blood, of course.
So in a very terse closing note, this is a very well worth read. It was short, fun, and like all of DC's The New 52, it doesn't DEMAND too much prior knowledge when it comes to these characters. While Catwoman is one that I am a bit more familiar with than most DC characters, I felt that this one added a bit more light to her and it didn't spell too much intimidation when delving into someone I am not as keen with as say, Spider-Woman or Black Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment