Friday, August 31, 2012

My Words On:


Story/Plot: This takes place before the game ends, obviously so a lot of the story of Mass Effect 3 could have already taken place, or not, depending on where the player decides to take it; however in general, the last time this could be accessed I would imagine where I was able to access it and it is before the final assault on Cerberus. As for the DLC's main content, basically it is an attempt to shine some light on the Reapers' history, where they came from, and how. A scientist and his daughter have been trailing a beast named 'Leviathan' who seemed to have the capability of destroying Reapers with very little to no effort. With that said, Shepard and the rest of the crew would undoubtedly want this creature/weapon to be part of the war.


In a series of events and many encounters from indoctrinated humanoids under the Leviathan's control, Shepard and his team are able to uncover some of what made the Reapers what they are now; it draws a tangible fact as to why they are, who they were, and why the gargantuan shape that seems to be the flag symbol of the Reapers. On my end, I honestly feel this adds more depths to the known enemy, the way it is executed and offered is of course Mass Effect caliber. But just like any other DLCs that offers this much (or lack of) gravity, I feel that it should've been part of the game already. I will remain obstinate that this was probably part o the game but of course the need to make profit will of course triumph over everything. Now such an epiphany about the enemies becomes a trivial fact because not all of us are willing to fork out the cash; especially those who still abhor how the ending and/or the Extended Cut turned out.

8/10

Gameplay: The things that makes Mass Effect 3 stand out from the previous two series in regards to gameplay was not stripped, it would've been asinine to do so, but on the other side of the coin, nothing new was added. I didn't expect much addition at all in regards to this department. What I got from the DLC in regards to gameplay is what I expected. While I muse at the notion of them possibly adding on new features to the way one plays, I wouldn't exactly count it against Bioware for not adding anything new. But some would argue that there was something 'new' and that is the very minuscule 'mini missions' one has to partake in order to progress. When not in battle, Shepard and EDI spends a lot of time going back and forth to a particular lab in the Citadel; scanning for clues and putting together evidence to locate certain areas to search/ and or obtain key 'artifacts' (or Leviathan itself). In combat, very small 'modifications' are added in like guiding a repair drone while being bombarded by Bashees and Cannibals and at the final stage the act of running back and forth to 'power sockets' in order to open a hatch. Other than that, nothing too spectacular.

To me, there was nothing new at all, but I thought I should point those out just in case some would want to distinguish that as new content in regards to Gameplay. So my final score still adheres to my review to Mass Effect 3 (My Words on: ME3).

10/10

Missed Opportunities

Length: I'm not going to sit here on a tirade that is far too obvious to 90% of DLC content in regards to gaming. We spend a good chunk of cash only to receive an hour to five hours of gameplay. While again, this complaint is not validated when it comes from me because I spend money on DLC's if I like the game enough, it does still point out that I could be a MUCH happier camper if the length would go pass one sitting.

New Equipment: Armor. New Weapons. It's almost detestable that they would pout out weapon content that gamers have to pay for! Shouldn't it be part of the DLC?! Like a 'Leviathan' armor complete with a weapon set perhaps? I don't know. But again, I paid for the last Weapons DLC so my complaint isn't exactly adequate since it would seem I have little to no qualms in regards to DLCs (capcom, I'm not talking to you by the way).

MORE HOURS INTO IT!

Overall: I enjoyed the game and any DLC offered I would be enamored to purchase just to support Mass Effect and of course to quench my need to game. If this would be the final DLC (I highly doubt it; I would capsulize that one more is at hand. Hint! Retake Omega, perhaps?!) I would say donning the N7 armor one more time (relatively speaking) for this kind of endeavor is a whimsical way to do so. While the DLC still holds in my opinion lack of real zest because of the looming 'bad ending' that Bioware produced when ME3 came out, I say, by itself it adds a good stripe on the series' belt. And casting the idea that this kind of content and story should have been part of the game to begin with, I still think it was worth my time. Is the said amount adequate? That opinion we will keep subdued because again, my lack of frugality when it comes to gaming doesn't entirely adhere to my opinion at times. DLCs are a good testament of that 'fault' I seem to have.

9/10




No comments:

Post a Comment