Monday, October 9, 2017

Mafex: Harley Quinn Suicide Squad


ANOTHER Harley Quinn figure! I warned you guys (one more after this). This time around, it's the long-awaited Mafex Harley Quinn! I've been waiting for a time when I had the proper time to review her and I did. I was also waiting for her 'pair'; something I'll talk about as well in this review and go on a full-blown review a little after this one. SO, let's get right into this figure's review.



This is my first Mafex figure, mind you, but the layout of the box is all too familiar to me. Imports have the same idea and it's not a bad thing at all.


Text that pays homage to the material, product shots of possible poses, and in general, just an awesome vibe. Yep! Mafex's boxing lives up to the standards.


Now as far as the figure itself, it's a beauty indeed. Regardless of anyone's opinion on Harley's costume in the movie, Mafex did a pretty accurate job. The sculpture did a lot to ensure that she is given that lithe figure, but still curvy at all the right places. The shoes are sculpted well and probably one of the areas that really impressed me since it was such a unique shoes and they got it right. Face/s and hair is also legit, and of course, the jacket version really completes the whole figure.


Now the coloring is gorgeous! I can't see any of the paintwork miss a beat; they're clean and accurate. The vibrant paint on her jacket really captures what it should look like as it did it in the movie. The mesh-like 'material' is made to look like that through the sculpting of the lines and by a light coat of black. Every fine detail is there and I believe all her tattoos are accurate to the film. I do know that they got one that they didn't need to (or most companies won't bother with and that's the tattoo on her back... side.... err.


Accessories department is pretty good. I won't complain and can't really have a reference since this is my first Mafex figure. How she stands up to something like Figuarts or Figma? Well, it feels like the same thing, honestly. So let's get into the accessories then; first the alternate faces.


The first face she comes with is the 'smiling' face. It doesn't necessarily remind me of Margot Robbie, but it does look like a pretty Harley Quinn. Then again, if one looks hard enough, one might see some resemblance, but that's just makeup and 'in-character' charm talking.


The next face variant became a popular promotional picture of Margot in Harley Quinn. Wide open mouth, playful and a bit... insanely teasing. Still does not accurately get Margot's looks, but it does resemble her a little bit.



The angry face and the bubble gum face is the exact same face. Her lips have a small opening, enough to let the bubblegum accessory to fit in there. A bit different, but it works. What doesn't quite work (or does it?) is that this alternate head comes with the club dress Harley! If you want this face, you have to get that one! I like it though.


The mallet is probably my most prized accessory of this figure because it is the less used weapon in her action figure lineups(believe me, she has a ton right now!). Makes sense since she only held it for maybe 20 seconds before she just stuck with her bat and gun. It's a nice addition, with nice coloring. The dead happy face is awesome too.


What's a Harley Quinn figure without her 'good night' bat, right? It's a good accessory. It has some good paint jobs that hold to the image of the movie counterpart. She can hold it with both or either hands so it works.


Then, of course, her gun! There are actually 'two' versions of this for the figure. The 'real' gun version, and the 'holstered' version. The one I'm showing is the one that is probably more important since you could do some serious posing shots with this one. It's painted nice with the whole 'love and hate' lettering on the weapon.


Lastly, she also comes with a stand! And this is my first Mafex stand and I have to admit, I like it a lot better than Figuarts and Figma! The joints are tight and the base itself is wide! May not be the best for space on the shelf, but good for posing some action shots since it's more stable.


Articulation department is pretty solid since I was able to get some good pictures. This is probably the only dynamic picture I tried, but as you can see, I was able to get her on some signature poses, as well as some sexy shots. If I was to make a comparison, Mafex, at least this figure, reminds me a lot of Figuarts. It's an import for sure, and it does the job well. Changing the heads and hands wasn't too difficult and the joints are all tight but giving. I was trying to get just a few more provocative shots, but I wasn't able to get them in without it look too weird. Still, it was generally a fun photoshoot. The number of faces supplied enough for some dynamic shots and the various hands gave enough layers to really pull off some nice pictures.



Shame that this variant head had to be a little over half the price of this gal to attain it. But the gimmick work for me, didn't it?


And yes! My Harley Quinn shrine continues to grow like there's an infestation!


I personally enjoyed my first run-in with Mafex. I chose this particular piece for a number of reasons and my gamble paid off. The 'extra' purchase for a variant head may be off-putting for some, but for me, it's not too bad. With that said, would I recommend it? Yes. I don't have the Figuarts to compare, but I do say that I am not missing that one since this one delivered on what I expected.
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment