Saturday, July 6, 2013

Marvel Legends Icon: Venom


I remember way back when when Marvel Icons were the pinnacle of collecting for me. Icons came with a hefty price of $50! Back then, that's a freaking punch in my wallet's groin! But nowadays, that's a thrift price for such a prestige and colossal figure! Glad I bought two because I wanted to keep one in the box while the other for these kind of occasion!



The box on its own is pretty impressive. If I was to compare it to a box I really enjoy from a collector merchandise, I'd say it's like the window boxes of the playarts series. Again the transparency allows for a good visual display, the very 'museum' feet of the shape, and of course add in some classic looking art on the back and a comic book, well, it's pretty cool inside the box.


But to really appreciate this bad boy, it's all about posing him and taking advantage of his monstrous stature! The detail in this figure with the muscular sculpting was well done! He just looks like a walking and lethal machine with his colossal figure and then to top it off, he also has his classic bad dental hygiene face! Fangs and snake like tongue and all!


While his jaw articulation allows one to really capture some of the ways Venom is known for with that 'face', his tongue could use a bit more than just 'one' bendable 'joint'. It's only about half way that I can really get some bending action on his tongue so it makes the rest of his said tongue rather dull and a bit too stiff. Some of the green saliva that Venom exuberantly lets out as he speaks and growls is missing in the paint job which could add in some more of that ferocity that Brock displays. The spider emblem is lacking the more prominent way it has been drawn, but since the figure is the way it is, I suppose i can forgive that minor distortion. Though the white 'web shooters' on the back of his hand is also missing gives me something more to gripe about. Wish they could've added that minor detail in.


Putting the missed details aside, posing this beast is a lot of fun because of his articulation. It allows for a lot of great scenes that could be jovial or menacing, depending on the imagination of the person that owns this Icon. Suffice it to say that the articulation for this bad boy is astounding from head to toe(literally). I made the erroneous act of just having him 'stand' there for the longest time or pose in a rather insipid 'rawr' posing. It's only quite recently that I started using him with his feral-like personality. Venom is a BEAST, therefore he deserves to be in such a pose. That and he is a bit on the melodramatic state.

"Once again and forever, We Are VENOM!"
With that said, this Icon is going for about $70 nowadays. I got him way back when when he was at his standard price so I consider myself prudent for that. Passed up the Wolverine and the Iron Man one, but again, those were the days when I was a big Spider-Man fanatic! And yes I have the Spider-Man Icon as well.


This month is all about rekindling old love and 'promising' for a good and better tomorrow. What that has to do with my toys? I really have no idea... except for the 'rekindling' part since I'll be doing a lot more 'nostalgia' time. Moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment