Friday, July 20, 2012

Marvel Femme Fatale: Bishoujo

I have always had a fascination with these toys the moment they were in the trajectory of my ever so hungry eyes for toys. For the longest time I only really had Black widow on display. One particular good reason is that these said toys aren't exactly on the thrift side, in fact their price are a bit hefty and not so shy to gloat about the artwork and the handwork put into each one. And truth to be told, I can concur with their price; I really can. Doesn't mean I always have such amount available on the whim. But like I have mentioned, July has been more than gracious in this department. My Bishoujo collection grew by two, and trust me when I say this, That on it's own is a lot in such a small amount of time.

Elektra


Now Elektra, the first time I have ever laid my eyes on this toy on some random toy site I can't help but feel a bit astonished on how attracting this piece of work is; and it's not that I had a doubt that Bishoujo lacked the ability to make such fine piece of statue, it's just that Elektra's design is more than catching for the eye that she outshines some of my more prominent Marvel femme fatales (Pyslocke is one of them). While I do not exactly dislike Elektra, she isn't exactly my first thought in regards to the female line ups of Marvel. At some point she had become a bit obsolete since my attention was with other Marvel heroines. I can't exactly disregard that same opinion now, however this toy itself doesn't exactly put a huge factor on my want to have her in my collection.
In The box she is done justice.



While I collect toys and keep them sealed in their box/containers more often that not, the Bishoujo (much like a lot of statue collection in this day and age) are more vibrant and well justified to be displayed outside of their said box. Just taking her out of the box just clearly demonstrates how well painted she is from her skin, to her very lust red costume, the intricacy and the attention on the hair and the face, just pure magnificent. 
Detail as I have mentioned before is for sure not lost in translation in this work on Elektra. In fact it is obvious just how much effort is put into making sure she is as attracting (if not more) as she is in the comic books. They even captured her trademark sais rather immaculately as well as to how she is shown to hold them. Even the detail on her stand, which is obviously an oriental structure, that alone gives off more positive things about this statue.

The affects on her hair is astonishing.
And that is a great view. 

X-23


The same kind words can adhere to Logan's ever so beautiful clone, Laura Kinney aka X-23. Again I don't' want to sound redundant but Bishoujo's box has a great aesthetic on its own for they allow the collector (if s/he chooses to do so) to keep the statue in the box and still having the pleasure of being able to view their said item. The laid out decor on the box both on the sides and the back are well organized as well. Again it makes the box appealing and not just some transparent case that has no real eye catchy trait about it. I also like the fact that they show the anime drawing based on the model (or the model is based on the drawing, I don't know). And of course for those interested, it even gives you a glimpse on who else is still collectable (Storm being shown there).


Again, window viewing on the side of the box.

Laura seems a bit too peaceful before cutting someone up.

Now out of the box, X-23 doesn't offer as much jubilation for those who are seeking very vibrant and potent colors like Elektra does, but Laura doesn't really fancy a colorful set of threads like the rest of the X-Men. In all her alternate outfits she had always allowed darker colors to adorn her figure (X-Force uniform being my favorite). In fact she is even drawn a lot just wearing casual attire. But regardless of that, this statue still doesn't fail in regards to being a really good testament on the work the Bishoujo series applies on their merchandise. From the elegant detail put into her a face (a more than serene look for someone who has been a living weapon way before her puberty), the whimsical glow on her hair, and of course let's not forget the fact that the details on her body is rather noticeable and attracting.


The stand having less remarkable details as Elektra, but it's just a slab of concrete. How much detail is needed in that?
Even Magneto has to shout, X got back!

Black Widow


Now I purchased Natasha way back when and she is the first Marvel Bishoujo statue I owned. Now I'm not trying to degrade this piece of work, not at all, but truth to be told she is my least favorite. Muse at the thought that Black Widow had never been one of my favorite femme fatales. Even now that she is popular among the mainstream because of her appearance in the Avengers movie (played by Scarlett Johanson), to me she isn't bad, but she doesn't stick out as a very 'spectacular' character. Now eye candy wise, she has been drawn into good and bad light (like all femme fatales of all Comic Book worlds). But regardless, this figure I couldn't help but pick up. The moment I found out that there was going to be anime adaptation of some of the more attracting females of the Marvel Universe, of course I jumped for joy. Black Widow was one of the first I saw, so picking her up was inevitable. 

Same detail in the back as the others.



Now one thing I have to say is that her box art conveys her as having a dark blue tint in her outfit. While the color has fluctuated in the past from black, blue, and grey, it has mostly been black (BLACK WIDOW!) and thus this figure does it right. Again, great details showing her every alluring assets. The curves, the fine shine on the leather skin tight outfit, her 'bullet' bracelets and her Widow emblem belt. Of course the face looks seductive and of course holds a bit of attraction to it and while the hair lacks in the more 'anime'ish' affect like the other two, the red still holds a very remarkable shine to it that for sure duplicates Natasha's in almost every way. However there is one 'minor' but very outstanding flaw that makes her even less of a favorite in contrast to the other two.... the stand. It's a bit too insipid. A white stand of some sort that has no real shape or form about it. It's just a white stand. Again its' not that big of a deal... but in essence it really does stick out!


Again, great backside view!


All in all, I am really happy I got three of them. For the hefty price, they add a good flare to my already super busy game room (Bat Girl!). I have to say that I'll be looking forward to owning more of the Bishoujo series because of all the things I had mentioned about their qualities. The one thing (a very major thing) that gets in the way is the price and the other less than major is the space in my room is shrinking. Meaning... I'm running out of room to put these!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment