Friday, March 16, 2012

My Late Words on:


On March 14, 2012 I finished Mass Effect 3, roughly almost a week after I bought the game. The ending as many have stated was a little confusing or anti climatic. A lot of loose ends in my opinion and I am leaning on some of the fans' petition to alter the ending. For me I don't necessarily want them to change it, I just want more explanation. I already expected the game to have a less than jovial conclusion, however I did want a little bit more knots on the loose ends. More importantly, I want to know what happened to the rest of the Crew, their story, their take on how it all concluded. What happened to the rest of the species? What happened to Earth? So forth.

But as my title claims this is more of a 'Late Review' on Mass Effect 2. Well it will not be a standard review since the game is long pass and I just want to clearly point out greatest quality of ME2 that I felt was lacking in ME3. With that statement alone many will jump the gun and say that I don't like ME3 as much as I like ME2. Not true. In fact I think ME3 was a great combination of both games previous to it, however like any other sequels, there are always some pieces left behind.

Tali + Garrus + Me = Reapers' Bane.

To me the best and the most satisfying part of Mass Effect 2 was the game's ability to really get you to be involved with the characters. The first and the third did that, yes, I'm not denying that at all, however ME2 focused greatly on the party members despite the fact that not all of them were not the greatest addition or some were just mediocre. But that's beyond the point, right? The fact that there are side missions for them that will either gain or lose their loyalty just proves that each character has a little bit more of a 'vocal' presence in the game. And of course the climatic part of the game where the crew has to go in and raid the collector base and take back what was stolen, That part on its own was just plain mindgasmic from my standpoint.

Yeah we all knew that there was going to be this last stage pivotal point of the game with lots of fire, return fire, some biotic waves and a whole horde full of collectors, but the real fun and flavor of the last part for me is the way one can choose how to delegate tasks to certain characters before the final battle. This is the part where one just can't pick a random character from the party to fulfill a critical mission. One must know how the character is and what his/her forte is. There was a part where one must know who has the command presence of a leader (Garrus for me) to lead a second squad while Shepard handles a certain mission. An area where certain control panels must be hacked to give a fighting edge (Tali!) and the player must choose a character that has the forte for tinkering. A biotic expert to shield the party from one of the Collectors' main weapons (I believe I picked Samara or Miranda; I forgot. Or maybe Jack). These choices were so critical for the mission that those sequences will either fail and the character placed will die if picked poorly, or succeed if the proper person was picked. Of course the main pivotal point of victory hangs on the player's hands as s/he commands his/her version of Commander Shepard.

Then of course we get the final boss battle. A gargantuan human reaper harvested by the Collectors from the missing population of  many colonies. That part on its own was fun as hell and on insanity a challenge! Along the way of course there was no lack of battle as the Collectors poured themselves left and right to try and prevent Shepard and his team from succeeding. To me it was just plain fun. It was an epic RPG feel of a final stage, last boss, with the real flare of adding in some side characters' crucial roles. Mass Effect 3 lacked that. The last part was for sure full of action, but I felt like there wasn't as much side character involvements.

But alas, I loved the game. I love the series. One day soon I will buy a X360 just to replay Mass Effect 1 so I can say I have the whole series. A bitter sweet emotion as I finish the game.... Well A review for the third installment shall be up soon.  In the mean time...

They forgot about me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment